Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I have a king sized bed. I don't know any kings, but if one came over, I guess he'd be comfortable. -Mitch Hedberg

Can you tell what that is? Well, if you guessed a castle, you'd be right. And we're not looking at an estate in England or France... we're looking down on a road in Alpharetta, Georgia. Yes, that my friends is the mysterious castle of Alpharetta (or Roswell, or Milton, depending on your politics). I saw it a few weeks ago when we happened to be in the area. My jaw dropped when we passed by in the car- I didn't have my wits about me to take a photo, but I found several online. I have been meaning to write about it ever since. I did some research on it tonight and, let me tell you, there's lots of folklore out there. Instead of trying to piece together the "internet" facts, I'm just going to link you to the best write up I found on it. This is not an amusement park attraction. It's someone's actual house. I've seen it referred to as the Dupont castle, but I am not sure if that's the owner's name. It's been said he was a truck-driver, and it was his dream to live in a castle. I guess all those nights in the cab of an 18-wheeler might do that to a person. There's also speculation that the majority of the square-footage is actually underground, which makes it even more castle-esque. Sort of looks like that could be true. I don't want to be the instigator of any further internet speculation, but hey, it is the internet. Leave a comment if you happen to know more about this mysterious homestead. Meanwhile, keep a look-out at any Harry Potter movie openings or Ren Fests in Georgia... a castle-owner could be there, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment