Friday, January 28, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-changes

I was going to title this post “How adding another piece of furniture to our living room is actually going to make our apartment feel larger”, but that was a little long.  I need brevity these days.

So, I’m blogging to you from my NEW desk location in our living room.  Yes, I am admit, one of the big mistakes I made while designing Mark’s nursery was assuming I’d still be able to use it as an office and blogging space sometimes.  Oh, how naive I was.  Yes, it turns out, there weren’t that many opportunities to actually sit at the desk and work or blog while he happily played nearby.  The times when I was most able to focus on tasks at this computer were those when he was sleeping.  I wasn’t exactly able to use the room while he slept because rule number one of parenting goes something like this: “Don’t wake the baby, for goodness sakes!” 

I began scouring Craigslist for a desk to use out in our living room, where I can work while Mark naps or at night after he’s gone to bed.  Wait, actually, let me back up.  My first choice was this piece from CB2, which would visually “disappear” and magically give my computer that cloak of invisibility.

peekabooconsoletableSC10

As good as my arguments were for this investment (it can be used as a desk now, or as a console table in our future living spaces, it’s CLEAR, it’s so COOL, etc.), I didn’t get too far with Dr. Jay.  My economist husband couldn’t stomach $300 smackeroos on “a piece of acrylic”.  So, off to Craigslist I went.  Finally I came across something that fit my requirements for size, look, condition and price. 

Enter our new (to us) desk:

DSC_1683

I’m in love with the lines and details.  It’s solid oak and has dovetail joinery!  Score.  The top is a little strange- it almost seems like it’s a laminate, but other than that it’s a real gem.  I’d like to keep it natural, but I may end up painting it one day so the weird top isn’t noticeable.  But that will not be any time soon.  What do you think?  Should I paint it?  Color ideas?

DSC_1684 

DSC_1687

Yes, it’s a little beat up, but overall in really good condition.  I’d guess this desk is from the 50’s or early 60’s.  Anyone know?  There is a tag on the inside that says it’s from the Levin Furniture Company in Baltimore, Maryland. 

Here it is all set up with my computer.

DSC_1693

Yes, that is a PC.  Not exactly my first choice, but Windows and AutoCad are so much happier together, so what are you going to do?  (actually, there is finally AutoCad for Mac- if anyone out there has tried it, please let me know- I’d love a review!)  And yes, that’s my baby on the desktop, just a few days old.  Such a little chunk.  And cords- I know, I won’t be winning any awards on UnClutterer.com, but I feel like I have my right arm back now that I can access my computer all day.  You have to pick your battles, right?

I think I’ve won this battle.

4 comments:

  1. It's a nice find and I am pretty sure I would not paint it but maybe I am not seeing something from this vantage point. If you do paint it, I am a huge fan of bright white, high gloss. I know. Boring. But it's clean, classy and timeless, really. In that case, you might change the hardware, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's nice as is- the veneer is a little disappointing, but really it's good for now. I do like the high gloss white idea though, and I'll keep it in mind for the future. And different hardware- or I'll spray it black or something.

    ReplyDelete