Friday, February 25, 2011

Goodman, again…

I read this article in the Real Estate section of the Washington Post last weekend, and since I know you depend on me for timely dispersal of information, I thought I’d share.  It’s about the house that Charles Goodman built for he and his family in the early 1950s- a structure that was originally a farmhouse from the 1850s which he gutted and added a very modern glass and steel pavilion for living.  Today the house is on the market, attracting all sorts of interest, and not just from potential buyers.  You remember Goodman, right?  We talked about the neighborhood (Hollin Hills) he and developer Robert Davenport designed in Alexandria.  Or you might remember him from this post about Reagan National Airport.

It was great to read about his personal home design and see photos like this one:

re-inhabit19

See more images on the Post’s gallery from the article.

One tidbit about the house is that it has its original St. Charles Cabinetry (though they’ve been painted over in black).  I’d never heard of this company, but they produce steel cabinets.   St. Charles Cabinetry is also used at Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater and Mies van der Rohe’s Farnsworth house, both on my list of must-see architecture.  Maybe I should go to one of the open houses for the Goodman house?

st_charles_kitchen

p.s. Martha Stewart even uses them!

No comments:

Post a Comment