Tuesday, September 1, 2009

“A computer is like a bicycle for your mind” (Steve Jobs)

A loyal reader recently sent me this link to an article published in AIArchitect This Week (an online journal) from August 28, 2009. If you have a moment, read about this amazing Bike Transit center (the first of its kind on the East Coast), nearing completion in D.C. It was designed by KGP Design Studio of Washington and is situated between the Union Station Metro and the National Postal Museum.

Check out one of the design studies:

http---www.ddot.dc.gov-ddot-lib-ddot-information-bicycle-pdf-design_concepts.pdf - Adobe Reader

It’s semi-enclosed, made of glass, steel and concrete, and its transparency speaks to its purpose of being a carbon-neutral transit hub. The design of the structure is to mimic the ideas of speed and efficiency (like a bicycle) and safety (like a helmet). I can see that. I can’t wait to check this out when it’s complete, which should be soon. I’ll have to get the word from N- apparently she sees it every day on the walk between her train and office. Have I mentioned that she is an Architect? Capitol A, thank you.

By the way, how do you like the changes to my blog site? I’ve been puttering around with it, thanks to some IT help from Dr. Jay. Still more to do, but I’m learning! And I don’t speak code well, if you couldn’t already tell.

More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment