Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pritzker Prize announced

Actually I think it was announced on April 12, but somehow this news is just getting around to me. And the winner IS... Peter Zumthor! If you're unfamiliar with Zumthor's work, he's Swiss and frankly, I can't believe he hasn't already received this award. The Pritzker Prize is given annually to a living architect whose "built work demonstrates a combination of those qualities of talent, vision, and commitment, which has produced consistent and significant contributions to humanity and the built environment through the art of architecture". I got all that from the website. This is a very big deal- the Pritzker is like the Nobel for architects and each year it's given in a different architecturally significant site around the world. I was at school at UVA when Herzog and de Meuron received the award at Monticello in 2001, and let me tell you, you could smell greatness in the air. I don't think it's been announced where it will be given this year, but I'll let you know if I hear, even if it's weeks later. The Swiss really know their stuff when it comes to architecture and design. If I am ever back in Switzerland, I will not miss the chance to visit the Thermal baths at Vals, designed by Zumthor. Here are just a few images: One of Zumthor's sketches for the baths, above. And a photo of the exterior. Zumthor is the kind of architect whose work makes me drool. It's got such weight to it, but yet it's full of life and light, and he makes it look so easy. He's very inspiring and I am so glad he's finally being recognized for his lifelong commitment to incredible work. Edited to add: Okay, the ceremony will be held on May 29 in Buenos Aires, Argentina at the Legislature Palace of the Buenos Aires City Council with a reception and dinner following at the Palacio San Martin.

No comments:

Post a Comment