Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Island of the Women

Hi there, remember me? Sorry about the absence... I recently returned from a girl's trip to Isla Mujeres, an island off the coast of Cancun, Mexico. It was a girl's trip to the Island of the Women and we arrived to surprise our dear friend (who lives there!) on April Fool's Day! How perfect is that? I was a happy vacationer because the island was beautiful, our accommodations were stellar (more on that in another post) and I was able to capture some interesting architecture on film. I thought I'd break up the trip in to at least two posts because I do have so m any photos. Over 4 days I took about 375 photos and 250 or so made it in to the Picassa album I created for the trip. It's been a week already and I really need to get some of these on the blog, so here goes: This is the church in El Centro, taken from the roof of our hotel, Casa El Pio. My next post will focus on that and some of the restaurants we visited, but here's a shot of the entrance to keep you interested. My good friend Margaret, whom I've known since fourth grade, is the manager at this hotel and kindly drove us all over the island in a golf cart last Friday. Here are some of my favorite buildings from the island. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of contemporary work there. Concrete and glass seemed to be popular on the island, and bright colors everywhere complemented the turquoise blue water. And yes, that was a house shaped like a seashell. I preferred those with the straighter angles, but to each his own. This was a school on the island. I love campuses like this with multiple buildings and natural ventilation. They make full use of the climate and sea breezes that pervade the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment